- 1 Large Eggplant, Sliced and Salted Set aside
- I jar of Marinara Sauce or Tomato Sauce (Mom’s Organic Marinara Sauce). I use my own homemade marinara sauce to avoid sugar. Be careful and look for a low sugar content. You may also opt to skip Marinara Sauce and only use fresh tomatoes or sub with a homemade pesto sauce.
- 2-3 Fresh Local Organic Tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh Basil
- Optional: Raw Cheese, grated
- Optional: Applegate Pepperoni (Uncured Nitrate, Gluten Free Pepperoni)
Eggplant tenderizes if you salt and set aside a couple of hours prior to cooking. Once the eggplant starts to “bleed” it will water and have a slight change in color. Rinse your eqqplant, pat dry and place on greased hot griddle. Place slice of tomato, fresh basil leaf, pepperoni, grated cheese on top and cook until tender. Serve hot.