We served this at our September Essentials to Gut Healthy Living Dinner and it was a huge hit for the crowd and my family. My kids unanimously stated this was their favorite meal. If you have 5 small children, you may know how rewarding it is to find a crowd pleasing home cooked meal! Once again, I’m biased and love to slow cook Bison. I chose to use Bison Stew Meat, but you could replace that with Short Ribs. My bearded mountain man forwarded a Curry Bison Recipe from the Farmhouse Delivery, but I made my own adaptions to ensure it was gluten, dairy, and egg free. This was the creation:
- 4 lbs Bison Stew Meat
- 2-3 tsp Salt & Pepper (To Taste)
- Garlic Powder (2 tsp)
- 2 TBS Organic Coconut Oil (Organic in Glass Jar)
- 6 TBS Red Curry Paste (Patak’s Original Mild Curry Paste, if you are using a stronger Curry paste you may use less Paste)
- 2 Can Organic Coconut Milk (Native Forest is the brand I used, but carefully choose a NonGMO, BPA Free Can)
- 4 TBS Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Lime or Lime Essential Oils
- *2 8 oz bags of Sugar Snap Peas chopped
- *2 Sweet Onions Chopped
- Fresh Cilantro
The first step is to rinse and pat dry the Bison Meat. Toss meat in Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder. Set aside. Melt Coconut Oil and chopped onions in large Dutch Oven on medium heat. Brown both sides of meat 2-3 minutes on each side. Turn to low heat. Pour coconut milk on top of meat. Add curry paste and apple cider vinegar. Stir until well mixed and leave on low heat with lid for 6-8 hours. You can place in oven at 250 degrees for 6 hours or until meat is tender. Remove from oven one hour before serving and add Sugar Snap Peas. Before serving, add Cilantro and Lime Juice. Serve with Roasted Veggies and Rice.
*Anytime you can find and buy organic produce, the flavor is richer and stronger. I prefer purchasing Organic Vegetables, but they are not always available. You may look at the EWG website for the listed Dirty Dozen (most contaminated produce). This is a good starting place, when you are navigating which organic/non-organic to buy.